Saturday 3 August 2013

Slow week

It was a slow week. I overspent last month and this month is tight. I've been trying to cut down on everything, on coffees, on lunches, eating out and non essential spending. I'm not really tracking how it's going as I know it's not great. On my way to work yesterday I made sure I was on the boring side of the road, so once past the first 3 coffee shops right by the station there are only pubs, bars and restaurants so that in the morning everything is closed. Further up the road there are 5 charity shops and a big Nero's so it was imperative for me to stay on the left side of the road, away from temptation.

I am weak. Roadworks ahead forced me to cross exactly in front of Cancer Research UK which had it's doors open to circulate the air of the recent heatwave. I crossed over and sailed right in. In my defence, the books there are cheap and when I read them that'll be keeping me out of the supermarket/pub/cinema, so I am actually saving money in some twisted way. A rather "red" theme was on offer, along with the usual second-hand trash. I got:

21. Revolutionary Road - Richard Yates - £1 Cancer Research UK
22. Poor Folk and The Gambler - Fyodor Dostoyevsky - £1 Cancer Research UK
23. Russia: A Concise History - Ronald Hingley - £1 Cancer Research UK

Three books for less than the price of a pint. There was nothing I could do.


Finished Down and Out in Paris and London and read Perfume by Patrick Suskind. Perfume was a perfect read for being out in the sun and transporting me out of London. After finishing I was much more aware of the odours around me, driving me to be even more revolted by the sweaty pits of hairy men on the tube. Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment